Any other tofu and pickle lovers out there??
Tofu Banh Mi Sandos
|Yield: 3 sandwiches|
Vietnamese inspired: Pickled veggies, zingy Sriracha mayo & marinated tofu sando on a baguette.
- For the Pickled Veggies:
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Marinated Tofu:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- Sriracha Mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayo
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2-3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 baguette, cut into 3 portions and halved
- Pickled Veggies: Cut your veggies into matchstick sizes. Combine the liquids in a jar and add your veggies. Allow to sit at least an hour, or store in the refrigerator until use.
- Tofu: Press the tofu between paper towels with a heavy object on top for at least half an hour. Slice into thin blocks to serve on the sandwiches. Combine your marinade ingredients in a bowl and add the tofu. Allow to marinate at least an hour, or overnight. When serving, sear two pieces per sandwich in a hot frying pan until crispy on both sides.
- Assembly: Whisk together the mayo ingredients. Apply to both sides of your baguettes. Next arrange the tofu, veggies and cilantro as desired. Serve with lime wedges.
Definitely prep your pickled veggies and tofu first thing if you want to eat these the same day!
Holy sandwich of flavor & crunch.
We made these two days ago, and then made them again tonight because they’re so darn good.