Need inspiration for what to serve for dinner tonight?
Easy Tomato Soup
Classic hearty tomato soup that warms the soul!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes (or canned whole tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons ap flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dried thyme & basil to taste
- Croutons & Grilled Cheese for topping & dipping
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute until translucent (about 5-10 minutes). Add the garlic, toss together and cook for a minute. Toss in the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon to coat the onions.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, and allow to stew together for about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Use a stick blender to puree until desired consistency. Serve immediately with croutons and grilled cheese.
Each week passes here in Pittsburgh and I get more and more nervous for the impending winter. I’m already freezing my tush off in the 40 degree Fall weather. Soup is a necessity in the cold, and I’m not mad about it.