Hey guysss. It’s bagel time!
These guys are dotted with some beautiful organic blueberries that I had stowed away in my freezer from the summer. I’ve been on a real fruit kick this week (mostly frozen in smoothies because it’s hard to get good fresh fruit at this time of year). So I figured some fruity bagels would be perfect.
We’ve been having such nice weather here in the Bay Area (up until this weekend where we had a much needed huuuge storm) that it has felt like Spring already. I love the winter (so sparse in California), so I’m hoping for some more cold and rain!
Ingredients: (Recipe adapted from Heather’s French Press)
1 package active dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup blueberries (tossed in 1/4 cup flour)
In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the yeast, sugar and water. Mix together and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes for the yeast to wake up. Then add in the bread flour and salt, and mix with a dough hook until a shaggy ball forms. Add in the blueberries and mix until the dough becomes smooth and shiny.
Cover with a towel, and let proof for an hour and a half until doubled in size. Divide the dough evenly (I got 9 portions at 4 oz each) and shape each into an even ball. Press your finger into the middle and stretch it out to create a hole. Let rest for 30 minutes. Re-stretch the bagel holes again.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil 3 bagels at a time, for 4 minutes (2 min on each side). Then place on a sheet pan lined with parchment and dusted with semolina. Bake for 20 minutes until nicely golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com
Check out the rest of the Bread Bakers’ bagels:
- Asiago Cheese Bagels by Jenni at Pastry Chef Online
- Basic Bagels by Caro at En la Cocina de Caro
- Basic Bagels with Blueberries from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Chocolate Chip Bagels by Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic New York Water Bagels by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cornmeal Bagels by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Easy Homemade Bagels by Wendy at A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Homemade Truffle Salt Bagels by Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey Multigrain Bagels by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Jalapeño and Cheddar Bagels by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Montreal Bagels by Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story
- Orange Ginger Bagels by Rocio at Kids & Chic
- Parmesan Garlic Bagels by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Simit (Turkish Bagels) by Adam at Bakers and Best
- Sour Dough Bagels from Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Whole Wheat Oat Bagels by Kelly at Passion Kneaded